Question
Posted by: K | 2011-05-03

Suicidal Tendancy

Hi doc
Please can you help me figure out what is happening with me.
I seem not to deal well with extreme conflict and my solution is to commit suicide. OD to say the least.
I tried it this weekend again. Had a fight with my husband, took two packs of pills. In hindsight this is utterly a crazy action from myself.
I have few memories of my childhood and remember having these tendencies then as well.
I have attempted suicide three times now and ended up in hospital twice.
Last year I was fraught with problems and ended up in hospital because I was scared of harming myself.
I have been treated for depression and have been on cipralex ever since however I am still clearly acting stupidly. I can’ t explain it. I don’ t handle aggression and anger to me very well. When I was young, my grandparents were a trigger and now that I am married, my husband is a trigger.
My mom committed suicide when I was an early teen however this is no reason to act this way.
I have a little child and a husband who sets me off emotionally however I should be like other normal people. Able to cope with this?
What do you think is wrong with me? I know that this is an open ended question however I don’ t seem to be winning.
If I see the shrink each time, it will cost me a R1000. If I see the psychologist, it will cost me R500.
Over and above all the help I have received, there is still no definite diagnosis of what is going wrong with me.
Any help is appreciated.

Suicide is not the solution - it is the problem. And as you surely found, it solved none of your problems, and indeed there's a substantial risk of recovering with all the same problems even worse, and with damage to your health to add to them.
Your situation emphasizes my firm view that it is rarely if ever sufficient to treat depression, especially severe enough to involve suicidal thoughts, entirely with drugs. You should be seeing a skilled psychotherapist to work on the issues of why you feel so troubled, and to explore all the other ways that exist to actually solve those problems rather than evade them or worsen them.
With something like CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) you can learn to avoid the avoidable and to handle your triggers far more effectively.
A psychologist or a counsellor skilled in CBT methods ( maybe FAMSA can recommend one ) might be a much better investment than years of expensive Cipralex - if you're still feeling so suicidal, it doesn't look as though the cipralex is worth much, though perhaps another, generic and cheaper, AD might suit you in combination with the counselling. Treatment that isn't working is infinitely expensive.
And nobody should be treating you with any drug at all, if they haven't made a proper diagnosis by recognized methods, and designed the therapy to mach that. I wonder if perhaps you have been seeing a GP rather than a proper specialist ? A situation such as you describe should be seen by a specialist and not solely a GP.

1