Question
Posted by: Unknown | 2010/06/15

SUICIDAL FEMALE

Hey Doc... I am a 21 year old female. I am so depressed at this stage in my life. I was on anti depressants then stopped it because it looked as if it wasn''t working and I have been to enough doctors and my dad doesn''t want me to be on pills. I tried to commit suicide many times about 3 years ago. Recently, a few weeks after stopping my pills I started to be heavily depressed so I started drinking it again but I have suicidal thoughts and recently I have been thinking a lot about cutting myself. I hate my life and I just want this hurt to go away. I hate my job. Im a lesbian and my parents doesn''t know but I know they don''t approve gays. I have only been involved with girls through phone dating because I am not interested in the girls in my town. I don''t want to live anymore, but I am scared of dying and at this point the fear is all keeping me from commiting suicide. I can''t afford to go to a psychologist on a regular basis and I most surely can''t go back to a psychiatric hospital because I must work. I feel that my work is eating me alive. Everything in my life is so disfunctional. I am intelligent and want to study but I don''t have the money and a loan is out of the question. how do I go on like this?? I have OCD and I am so paranoid about making mistakes that I check my work 3 times and still believe it''s wrong. Personally, I think there is no hope as it has been going this way very long. What should I do?

This situation needs to be taken seriously and wih respect, by you as well as others.
Your dad is foolish if he "doesn't want you to be on pills" that have been prescribed for you by a doctor after a proper assessment of your condition - but some people are ignorant, or prejudiced in a most unhelpful way. Such an opinion, should not be accepted as a reason to stop needed meds.
Apparently, as might have been predicted, after stopping the meds prematurely, your depression returned. Alcohol never helps and makes depression worse - and more dangerously, increases our impulsiveness.
If you don't like this particular way of life, then that\s what should be changed, with the appropriate help - rather than giving up on life altogether,
If you are lesbian, that is your own business - it sounds as though you anicipate being rejected by them if they find out about it.
You seem to be describing a most uncomfortabl situation, but one that really ought to respond to proper treatment. If this needs an initial period in hospital to stabilize the situation, so be it. DO urgently arrange to be seen by someone - at least a GP, but preferably a psychiatrist - if you go to the casualty of any state hospital and tell them frankly how you are feeling, they should arange for you to see a suitable shrink and be taken into treatment, which will need to continue after you leave hospital, to help you sort out the job and other issues. You can be feeling much better than this

1