Posted by: Tired | 2009-09-08

Suicidal bf

i wrote here a while back about my suicidal bf.whom his father commited suicide.yesterday we were talking and he told me he blames himself for his fathers death and he feels bad about it all the time.
he was going to register for his second year when he asked his dad for registration money for the next year when his dad told him he is not sure if he will be going back to university because he dont have any money
later that night his dad asked him for a pen and he told him he dont have it only beacuse he was too lazy to look for it.the next morning they foung his dad hanging in his bed room.i dont know were his mom was.
so he says it is his fault because he thinks his dad did it for him because he knew they were going to get his insurance and policy money,so he can register at school.
he was very sad and cryinghe says he is a bad person.i dont know what to do anymore.
i tried calling the number you gave me but there was no reply.i will keep trying though.
or if there is any other number i can call please help or any counsellor who can help in pretoria.i would realy appreciate it.thanks again.

Of course your bf wasn't in any way responsible for his dad's suicide, but people like his dad sadly too often ignore the fact that this is how a genuinely caring relaive will feel, and how they may be haunted for decades after that. And your bf also sounds really seriously depressed. Urge him to see a shrink for assesment and treatment --- and remind him that just as he is still haunted by his dad's suicide, so you and others would be severely damaged if he chose to harm himself. Your nearest hospital casualty should be able to help, as should Lifeline, and the anxiety-Depression support group.

Posted by: Woman | 2009-09-08

Your bf went through a highly stressful period. It is so sad! Please urge him to go to the university' s medical centre. They will give him counselling for free. He really needs to see a professional! Otherwise his dad' s suicide will haunt him forever, and that is not fair.

Reply to Woman