Question
Posted by: charmaine | 2008-11-14

suggest exercise morbid obese

Hi there, I can safely say that I fall into the grossly morbid obese section as I weigh 167kg, 1.57cm tall retain water and have legs like tree trunks and folds. What exercise can I use safely within my home - scared I will fall if I walk outside without help. Definately will not be able to get up again - no strength. Please can you suggest something. I thought of Tai Chi -bought an easy DVD but I get too breathless within minutes. Should I carry on with it? HELP

Hi Charmaine

First things first, you need to obtain medical clearance to exercise, because it's likely that you have some kind of risk factors, perhaps high blood pressure, cholesterol, that would need to be assessed. Once that is done, then you can begin training safely. It will be difficult at first, and it's not going to be an easy process.

My advice for the first few months of training is to do something pool-based. No weight bearing, no risk of falling and it's a lot easier to get started by doing this. Most gyms now offer something like this, and I'm not sure if perhaps you have access to a swimming pool at home. You would simply adapt a walking programme into the water - in otherwords, instead of running or walking 20 minutes, just run and walk 20 minutes in the pool.

The tai-chi will get easier, so keep doing it. But don't overextend yourself. I think that within a couple of weeks, it will become easier to manage that session. So keep at it.

Then don't forget diet. It will almost certainly help you lose weight, and that in turn will make training easier. So the diet side of things is vital, and I really would suggest you see a dietician.