Question
Posted by: MFB1107 | 2012-09-10

Sugars vs Carbohydrates

Dear DietDoc

I am diabetic (type 2) and my kidneys are not functioning as they should. My blood-sugar levels used to be between 8 and 15 but since a " wake-up"  call on 28 July 2012, I have drasticaly reduced my sugars-intake, completely cutting out sweetened fizzy drinks. I have reduced my bread (low GI) to 2 slices per day and have reduced my nightly intake of rice (boiled white basmati) to 1 cup. When I now check my blood-sugar (between 17:00 and 18:00) it is within the 4 to 8 range, and have been so for more than a month.

Can you please advise whether I should be focusing on only reducing my sugar intake or should I also be focusing on reducing my carbohydrate intake, including the low GI variety.

Thank you and best regards

Dear MFB
If you are a type 2 diabetic with kidney problems, then it is imperative that you should be under the guidance of a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). From what you say, it is evident that you have not been assessed by a dietitian and you have not had an individual diabetic diet prescription worked out for you so far. This is vitally important because the diet you use is one of the most important factors in treatment. The dietitian will have to tailor the diet to also make provision for your kidney problems - this is not something I can do for you over the Internet.
So please see a dietitian ASAP

2
Posted by: MFB1107 | 2012-09-12

Thank you so much, DietDoc

Reply to MFB1107
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-09-11

Dear MFB
So please see a dietitian ASAP