Question
Posted by: Anne | 2008/07/16

Sugarlite

I love to bake, but sometimes the recipes calls for a lot of sugar. I would like to know if it is safe to use artificial sweetners like Sugarlite or any other brand. Would it change the taste of the baking? And would it lower the KJ content of the baking a lot or not?

Dear Anne
You can certainly use artificial sweeteners like Sugarlite in baking, but I would recommend that you contact the company for recipe because sugar in baking is not only used for its sweetening properties, so the recipe may have to be changed in other ways too. The taste should not really be affected. Use of an artificial sweetener which contains practically no kJ would automatically lower the energy content of the baked goods considerably.
Enjoy the baking