Question
Posted by: Lindi | 2009-12-03

sugar vs sweetner

I noticed that sweetner and sugar have exactly the same amount of kilojoules per gram. Does this mean that I could just as well use sugar than sweetner if I am on a diet?

Dear Lindi
I don't which sweetener you are using, but according to the SA Food Tables sugar contains 81 kJ per teaspoon (5g), while Canderel contains 8 kJ per teaspoon (which is 10 times less) and cyclamates and saccharine contain less than 1 kJ per teaspoon. The sweetening power may be the same for so-called non-nutritive sweeteners, but the energy content is much less. However, if you use sugar in small quantities to make low-fat foods palatable it will not interfere with weightloss.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2009-12-03

Dear Lindi