Question
Posted by: Fathima | 2012/03/12

Sugar substitutes

hi

I have a sweet tooth and like to bake,please advise what are safer substitutes to white sugar,and how to obtain them in s.a?

Dear Fathima
Probably the most useful sugar substitutes are Stevia, Neotame and Sucralose. You will have to check at your local supermarkets to see if they keep these sweeteners as it is not yet clear if they are being imported into SA at present. You will also have to Google the Internet to see if you can bake with these sweeteners or not, because some artificial sweeteners are not suitable for use at high temperatures. Keep an eye on the DietDoc site because I intend writing a DietDoc Topic on the subject of artificial sweeteners based on a symposium I attended a few weeks ago.
I hope you can obtain some of these sweeteners.

1

Dear Fathima