Posted by: Trying to turn it around | 2011-10-05

I am overweight. I weigh 105kgs and am a 27yr old female. I have struggled with my addiction to food my whole life and have been losing and gaining weight as a result. My Doctor has said that i am prediabetic and need to lose the weight. I also have insulin resistance and go into sugar lows hence needing to be on a low gi diet, which i am trying to adhere to. i have started exercising four times a week as well.

Here is my question. when i was eating junk food all the time, i didnt seem to go into sugar lows. Now however, i do. For example, have wholewheat pronutro a fruit and a small yogurt before gym. i then gym and after an hour i am in a sugar low. i cannot gym with energade as it is not low gi.

Now, having said all of this. i struggle because being without food , i dunno. i feel alone almost. and i miss the way that food makes me feel happy. it feels like a daily struggle to stay away from the food even though the weight depresses me. I guess i am looking for direction. i dont know how to cope with the sugar lows and not have my usual pickmeup for bad feelings, being food. i feel stuck almost. i really wanna turn this thing around. i feel stuck between a rock and a hard place.

im sorry if any of these feelings dont make sense. thank you for taking the time to read it though.

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello there,
I think that you should pose your question regarding blood sugar to the DietDoc as that part of your question is purely dietetic. However, it sounds as though your emotional relationship with food is also complicated and that you find yourself comforting yourself with food. I suggest that you look to keeping a food journal for a start. This will not only help you keep a clear and accurate record of your dietary intake, but it should also serve to help you be more alert to the emotional triggers in your eating behaviour. You should also consider joining a support group for disordered eaters. This will help you not only see that you are not alone, but serve as a source of support, understanding and encouragement.
I wish you the best,

Posted by: trying to turn it around | 2011-10-05

P.s I do not have the means to see a nutritionist or specialist. i am only able to afford gym at this point.

Reply to trying to turn it around