Posted by: PJ | 2009-03-09

Sugar intake

I have noticed in the last few months, if I have a sugary cereal for breakfast I am very sleepy an hour later. So I tried having a sugary cereal before going to bed, now I find that I sleep better than I have in years and wake up feeling a lot brighter in the morning. I was diagnosed with Crohn' s in 1994 and had an Iliostomy the same year. I have just had blood tests for my liver, kidneys and prostate and everything is 100%. What would cause this high sugar intake to improve my sleep so much? I am 55 years old.

Dear PJ

A high sugar intake before bedtime can improve your serum glucose level. This will explain you feeling better in the morning. I do however, recommend that you have blood glucose tests done, to exclude hypo-glycemia.