Question

Sugar in yoghurt

Dear Doc

At a seminar I attended, a professor mentioned that, if yogurt contains > 12% total energy sugar, it inhibits the good bacteria function.

Do you have any info whether this is true and if so, which yogurt can be excluded from this statement?

Dear Sugar in Yoghurt
I cannot imagine why sugar which is a simple carbohydrate and may be used by good bacteria as a source of energy for their own growth, should inhibit their function. If you want to use yoghurt without any sugar, then you will have to buy plain yoghurt or yoghurt that is sweetened with artificial sweeteners.

1

Dear Sugar in Yoghurt