Posted by: Jane | 2009-03-24

Sugar cravings

My family has a history of cholestrol, heart disease and diabetes (type 1 and 2).

I weigh 67 kgs and am 1.75m tall. I do not eat fats other than olive oil.

My problem is that since the birth of my son in May 2008 i have major sugar cravings after every meal. I have a fruit after my al bran in the morning and try and have a fruit after lunch but it just does not satisfy the sugar craving. At night i need something very sweet to satisfy the craving - i have tried fruit, yoghurt and slim slabs but only 2 or 3 teaspoons of hot chocolate powder does the trick.

I have been on weighless since November and lost 4kgs but i am concerned with all the sugar i am craving and ingesting that the weight will pile right back on.

The doctor says i have reactive hypoglycemia. I know about 30 mins after i have had sugar, i get down and depressed. My husband always jokes with me at night saying that he had better go to bed before i have my sugar fix.

Do you think i am lacking a vitamin? I have just started bio strath multi vits.

Thank you for your time

Dear Jane
I agree with your dr that you may have reactive hypoglycaemia. This is a condition that has to be treated with a low-fat, low-glycaemic index (GI) diet. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Because the low-GI diet can be tricky to apply until you have got used to eating only low-GI foods, I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help you through the initial phases of adjusting to the diet. Your present BMI = 21,9 which is already ideal for your height, so I do not recommend that you should try losing more weight at this stage. Reactive hypoglycaemia is usually not linked to a vitamin deficiency because it is due to your pancreas producing too much insulin when you eat high-GI foods. The excess of insulin makes your blood sugar levels drop to below normal values which in turn causes the sugar cravings and the depression. The best way to control this condition is the use of low-GI foods that will keep your insulin and blood sugar levels steady for longer and prevent the cravings. You may find that taking a mineral supplement that contain chromium will help. There is a specific product called Diabion which is a combination of vitamins and minerals specially formulated for diabetics, which may also help to control your blood sugar and insulin levels. Reactive hypoglycaemia is not diabetes, but both conditions are characterised by imbalances in insulin production.