Question
Posted by: dw | 2011-12-07

sugar

Hi Doc. I have an extreme craving for sugar. When I eat quite a bit of it, I get tingling in my fingertips and my vision becomes blurred. If I dont eat it, I feel extremely tired. What causes this? Could I have diabetes?

Dear DW
The symptoms you describe of craving for sugar and getting tingly feelings in your fingers and blurred vision when you do eat some sugar, could be an indication that you have an insulin disturbance, either diabetes or hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar). Please make an appointment with your medical doctor and describe these symptoms to him/her so that he/she can arrange for you to have a glucose tolerance test which should indicate if you have one of these conditions. If you are diagnosed with either condition then it is essential for you to consult a registered dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your diabetes or hypoglycaemia, and any medications the dr may prescribe, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Ask your doctor what type of exercise you are allowed to do and get more active, e.g. start going for brisk walks for about 30 min every day, BUT only if your doctor gives permission.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-12-07

Dear DW