Question
Posted by: Tumisang | 2010-11-17

Sugar

BACKGROUNG:Hello there, I was recently told that a lot of sugar for men can be very dangerous. Apparently,men who do not drink alcohol eat a lot of sweety things,and honestly,I do eat sweety things.. These men tend to develop huge tummies and have female curves. Lots of people tell me that I have curves which is very abnormal for a 22 year old men. It bring me down because I am aiming for a rock-hard abs type of body. Recently, I stopped to take a lot of sugar and see some results.

COMMENT:Is it true that sugar is bad for men?(others believe that men who eat sugar can''t concive)

Dear Tumisang
Eating too much sugar and highly refined carbohydrates is not a good idea for people of both sexes, not just men. High intakes of sugar, esp sweetened cold drinks and fruit juices can cause a condition called insulin resistance which over time can progress to type 2 diabetes and/or a condition called metabolic syndrome. Individuals who are overweight, have insulin resistance or metabolic syndrome often also suffer from what is called abdominal obesity (large tummy or boep). Obesity itself and esp abdominal obesity can interfere with the production of male sex hormones like testosterone, so eventually these conditions can lead to a reduction in fertility. I would recommend that you have a medical checkup to determine if your 'curves' are due to overweight, and possibly also type 2 diabetes or if there is another underlying factor causing this problem. To lose weight if you are overweight it is a good idea to eat a balanced diet which does not include excessive amounts of sugar, sweets, highly refined carbs or cakes, etc. You can try an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet). However if the dr does discover that you suffer from insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes then it is essential for you to consult a registered dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your diabetes, any medications the dr may prescribe and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low fat content and a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’.
Keep up the good work with the exercise

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-11-17

Dear Tumisang
Keep up the good work with the exercise