Question

sugar

Hi Doc I have been on a healthy diet since feb and I have lost a bit of weight .I only drank rooibos and chamomile without sugar .BUT now its winter and I ve gone back to the bad habit of coffee and sugar BUT my diet is still the same healthy stuff .

I now drink 3 cups per day .1 cup of coffee in the morning with 2 sugars and 2% milk AND 1 cup of coffee during lunch ( 2 sugars and 2% milk ) AND 1 cup of tea after dinner (2 sugars and 2% milk )
MY question - is 6 tsp of sugar per day bad for weightloss ? I dont consume any other sugar ie sodas and fruit juice .

Dear Anonymous
6 teaspoons of sugar will contribute 6 x 81 = 486 kJ per day, which represents 7,7% if your daily energy intake when you are trying to lose weight. You will have to reduce your energy intake somewhere else or increase your energy output by doing some exercise to stay in energy balance and not gain the weight you lost in summer. Going for brisk walks or skipping or 30 min a day should compensate for the sugar intake. Otherwise experiment with artificial sweeteners or gradually reduce how much sugar you drink in your coffee.