Question
Posted by: Manny | 2009-04-01

Sugar

I have been researching about diet and nutrition for the past 3 months as I want to lose weight .My findings tell me that SUGAR IS A DIETER ' s WORST NIGHTMARE .I have decided to cut out Sugar in my diet COMPLETELY .Coke , cakes , biscuits ,chocolates ,Friut juice and sugar in my TEA and COFFEE .

I can do tea without sugar But I cant drink coffee without sugar ,I tried it but its too bitter .
My Question is - If I drink JUST 1 cup of coffee per day with 2 level tsp sugars will that sabotage weightloss ?Even if the its only sugar intake I have for the day ?I have to lose weight , Im so tired of being FAT .I dont want to eat anything that will make me NOT to lose weight .

Dear Manny
I would actually say that "FAT" is a dieter's worst nightmare because fat provides you with 37 kJ per gram, while sugar, which is a carbohydrate provides you will only 16 kJ per gram - quite a difference. If you look at the list of foods and drinks you are going to cut out, quite a few of them are also high in fat content (i.e. the cakes, biscuits, chocolate). Liquids that contain sugars (e.g. sweetened cold drinks and fruit juice) tend to promote weight gain more actively than solid sugar (having a teaspoon on your breakfast cereal for example or eating a bit of jam on your bread). I don't think that having those 2 level teaspoons of sugar in your cup of coffee once a day will hamper your weightloss or make you fat. After all, 2 t of sugar provide 162 kJ which represents 2,6% of your energy requirements when you are trying to lose weight (for women) or 1,9% (for men).
The important things are to reduce your energy intake and increase your energy output, then you will lose weight.
Good luck with your diet and do add some exercise to your regimen.

2
Posted by: Gabriel Matli | 2009-04-26

Hi. I am a great fan of Lemon Creams biscuits and on the same token I am tying to lose some weight. I wonder what effects they have on my weight loss programme. I eat them once a week, usually on Sundays, but I eat the whole packet.

Please advise.

Reply to Gabriel Matli
Posted by: Sugar | 2009-04-01

Coffee without sugar. Just do it, one get use to it. Coffee is bitter when it is very strong.

Reply to Sugar