Question
Posted by: muffin | 2008/08/11

suffering from the muffin effect

The muffin effect im implying about is my mid section, that is my bulging waist and tummy, I have no problem with the rest of my body but it seems my waist is the first place that fat resides in. I am fit, and I would say relatively good with my diet, but somehow I cannot get rid of the fat surrounding my mid section, I am in my late thirties and have kids , pls help me because now its not just about looking good, it is now a health concern for me, I would like to make some serious health changes to my life style .

Dear Muffin
I understand completely and it is an unfortunate fact that as individuals get older, fat tends to accumulate in the midsection (the waist and tummy). This abdominal fat is a health risk as it is associated with a whole series of so-called 'diseases of lifestyle'. It may help to lose some weight all round as this will also impact on your midsection. You can try using an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and that you increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for 30 or more minutes a day. In addition it will help to do exercises that target the tummy (e.g. situps) every day increasing how many you do as you get more used to them. You can ask Fitness Doc on this Website for additional exercises that target the tummy and waist.