Question
Posted by: Jacobus | 2010/04/07

Suffering from OCD and can''t get family to understand

I was recently diagnosed with OCD. It is very mild, but can become debilitating during periods of high stress. I''m in my early 20''s and my I told my Mother over the Easter weekend. She''s a born again Christian and simply won''t believe that I need medication or suffer from OCD. The worst part is getting no support or understanding from her and the fact that she''s putting me under more pressure for seeking treatment.

Any advice on how to handle this, my anxiety has spiked and I really don''t fell I can deal with her as well, all I really want is acceptance  but I''ve tried explaining how I feel and what OCD is and she simply does not want to accept or understand it.

Its sad that some people who call themselves born-again Christians, seem to totally miss the essence of real Christian compassion and caring for others, and take a very harsh and ignorant view of life. In your 20's, you should try to find a way to move out and be independent of your family. OCD exists, whether or not your mom, in her ignrance, chooses to believe in it. Seek and accept the treatment you need, without giving her the power to foul up your life by her superstitions and prejudices about your illness.
Don't asume that you need her acceptance or approval. You are giving her power over your happiness and your life which she does not deserve.
Maybe the SADAG ( number on this page ) knows of a suitable support group you could attend, as well as working with your treatment, which may include CBT counselling and/or drugs such as those usually used to treat depression. With successful treatment, you will become stronger and more able to be independent and happy in your own right.
It may represent part of your OCD that you tend to develop this bad habit of giving her so much unearned importance

2
Posted by: HRHBeetjie | 2010/04/07

I am also a born again heiress of God. It saddens me to hear that some people are just " willingly ignorant" 

Medication should be used in conjunction with prayer. M

Maybe you can explain to her that God gave people intelligence to become doctors and psychiatrists and develop medicine.

Try talking to her in a calm way to ascertain why she is against medication and treatment.

I wish you all the best.

Reply to HRHBeetjie