Question
Posted by: Sammy | 2012/10/29

suffering from enxiety

Hi Doc, i resently bought a car and everytime i need to go somewhere, i become very nervous in such a way that i can even cancell the trip. the thing is i am fine when i have a passenger, the problem is when i am driving alone. i hate this feeling, what can i do to enjoy my car without feeling so terrified everytime i need to go alone?

OK. Maybe you'd be surprised to learn how many p[eople feel nervous, or even at times terrified, when they start trying to drive a car. This isn't unusual, and can be overcome. Its interesting that you feel fine with a passenger, as this shows that you are entirely capable of driving safely and well. What's more puzzling is what is so different when you drive alone, to have you feel so nervous then.
Fortunately this can be cleared up fairly rapidly, if you'll see a good local psychologist specifically asking for CBT - Cognitive-behaviour Therapy - which is excellent at clearing up these bad habits of thought, behaviour and feeling, and letting you get on with enjoying your driving

3
Posted by: fellow driver | 2012/10/30

you will be fine sammy...when i changed my car in december i couldnt drive as well worst thing is i got it from the dealer in the vaal and had to drive all the way to venda for work commitments..it was horrendous, a trip that normally took me 4 hours took 8,...i stopped i dont know how many times on the side of the road just panic stricken..i told myself this is crap ive been driving for 6 years i am not going to allow this...just breathed and got on with it..ull be fine...good luck and Congratulations!

Reply to fellow driver
Posted by: Sammy | 2012/10/30

thank you Doc, i will do that.

Reply to Sammy