Posted by: Freddie | 2009-03-24

Suffering from depression

I am sufering from depression and can be very irritable, sensitive and aggressive at times. This morning my fiance'  made joke about coloureds being lazy going to work after payday, because i am coloured and he is black he is always making these funny jokes about " coloured people" .

We ended up having an argument about it and i felt so bad, i felt as if i was overre-acting because of my mental status.

Do you think i really overreated, or is he wrong by always making funny remarks about coloureds.

Well, your depression may have made you more sensitive and irriable, but making racist jokes isn;'t acceptable, whoever, of whatver race is making them. A simple test would be to tell him exactly the same jokes, but with the story being about blacks and not coloureds, and ask him whether he would find those just innocent funny jokes. If not, then he must recognize that they are rais and offensive for others

Posted by: Rick | 2009-03-26

Not cool to make racist had a right to be sensitive and angry, depression aside.

Reply to Rick
Posted by: racismsucks | 2009-03-24

Tell him his a racist and he needs to seriously get over it.

Then tell him a good joke about black people (there are so many!) and see if he gets offended

Reply to racismsucks