Posted by: Lulu | 2012-11-23

suddenly no pain after 27 years of it?

I am 38, periods started at 11 and have always been really painful. Not cramps like most women but awful radiating aches and pains down the entire lower body, and a lot of discomfort in the lower back.

I have one child, aged 9. After I had her my periods lessened in pain quit a bit and another change I noticed is that the blood suddenly went much darker in colour. Just this year, and just in the past two months, I have suddenly had totally painless periods. Nothing at all, not even a twinge. No warning at all -and I have had warning for 27 years. The blood is still dark in colour. Is there anything to be concerned about - is change in blood colour normal after giving birth and is it normal for period pain to disappear overnight? What might cause such a radical change?

Cycles do change over time, both in their length and characteristics. As long as the periods are regular it shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Posted by: Nic | 2012-12-05

Hi Lulu - I can tell you the EXACT same thing happened to me last year (I thought I was reading my own post) - and for 2 months in a row as well. I was worried out of my mind as I had always had extremely painful periods since I was 11 as well (I am now 37 yrs old so very much the same as you). The pain did eventually come back as it was before, but after that I had another change for a few months in that only after my periods started I would get pain - it used to be the other way around. That all said, everything is back to normal a year later. I would not worry, I honestly just think it''s AGE related and things can and certainly do change.

Reply to Nic