Question
Posted by: abba | 2010/08/26

sudden weight gain

Hi, the eating disorders expert suggested I send this query to you as he cannot help.
My daughter in her early twenties never had weight problems either over or under. Then in the space of a year she developed hypothyroidism and insulin resistance and gained a vast amount of weight in a very short time. Endocrinologists say there is nothing else wrong except the above 2 conditions for which she is now medicated and they have no idea why these conditions appeared. Polycystic ovaries have been ruled out. However she has not lost the weight. She weighs 1 and a half times what she used to weight even though she follows a low fat, low carb almost vegetarian diet and works out with a personal trainer daily and has endermologie massage weekly. As you can imagine this is very disheartening for her and she finds that both her heart and her knees are taking strain. Can you help her?

Dear Abba
I feel for your daughter because to suddenly develop hypothyroidism and insulin resistance and gain so much weight in a short period, must be highly frustrating and depressing. Something must have triggered this collapse in such a young person. Was she exposed to some form of extreme stress? Extreme stress can trigger endocrine abnormalities. If there is a possible psychological component to this drastic change in your daughter's metabolism (for example depression can either cause pronounced weightloss or promote weight gain), then I would recommend that she should first discuss this with a clinical psychologist who will be able to recommend further treatment. If she suffers from inulin resistance (IR) then it is essential for her to consult a registered dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" in the middle of the main page of the Website, to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take her IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight and hypothyroidism, into account when working out a diet for her, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. If this type of diet together with her daily exercise does not produce satisfactory weightloss, then there are options such as the use of Xenical or in extreme cases, bariatric surgery. Your daughter's doctor can prescribe Xenical and you can contact the Bariatric Centres of Excellence in regard to her having a gastric bypass to assist weightloss. Contact Jana Derksen at the Call Centre for the Netcare Bariatric Centres of Excellence on 0861-623-7489 or contact her at: jana@pharmacallcc.com or call her on her cell phone at: 072-373-0155 or visit their Website at www.netcare.co.za to discuss this option.
I sincerely hope that your daughter can lose some weight and that you can pinpoint what caused her metabolic collapse because this may indicate how she can recover.

1

Dear Abba