Question
Posted by: priscilla | 2010-08-25

sudden weight gain

My daughter in her early twenties never had weight problems either over or under. Then in the space of a year she developed hypothyroidism and insulin resistance and gained a vast amount of weight in a very short time. Endocrinologists say there is nothing else wrong except the above 2 conditions for which she is now medicated and they have no idea why these conditions appeared. Polycystic ovaries have been ruled out. However she has not lost the weight. She weighs 1 and a half times what she used to weight even though she follows a low fat, low carb almost vegetarian diet and works out with a personal trainer daily and has endermologie massage weekly. As you can imagine this is very disheartening for her and she finds that both her heart and her knees are taking strain. Can you help her?

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi Priscilla,
Despite your daughter's endocrine complications, her weight gain sounds abnormal. Without more detail, I cannot necessarily comment on possible disordered eating, except by speculating. I suggest that you cut and paste your question to the DietDoc, or that your daughter see a registered dietician to explore her dietary habits, if she has not already done so. Should you daughter acknowledge that she recognises that her relationship with food has become emotionally loaded and abnormal, then seeing a therapist is a choice she must consider. I am assuming that you are concerned about your daughter, hence, your posted question. As such, I suggest that you continue to be available and remind her that you are there to support her whenever she needs you. I hope that helps a little?
Regards,
Graham

1
Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 2010-08-25

Hi Priscilla,
Regards,
Graham

Reply to Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert