Question
Posted by: Helen | 2012-02-09

Sudden sweet tooth

I am a 32 year old woman, 1.67m and 60kg. I am very disciplined and have never had a sweet tooth but since giving up smoking at the end of Sept 2011 I have a constant, almost overwhelming craving for sweet things (all the things I used to dislike). I actually find myself fretting about eating something sweet. If I start eating sweet things I feel like I can''t stop even though I don''t enjoy the taste of what I am eating. Diet:
4:50am- All bran flakes, low fat milk &  honey
9am- Fruit
12pm- Hand full of raw almonds, muslie rusk
2pm- Fruit and lowfat yoghurt
7pm- Chicken/ fish with salad or 2 veg, pasta once a week

What is wrong with me?

Dear Helen
Congratulations for stopping smoking. This will benefit your health in so many ways. One of the effects that some people experience after smoking cessation is a craving for sweets and/or carbohydrates. This can be due to the fact that the body's metabolism is now working at full capacity whereas during smoking quite a large proportion is uncoupled. The diet you describe is reasonable, but I would recommend that you add a low-fat protein to your lunch (e.g. a low-fat yogurt or cottage cheese or a boiled egg or tuna) plus a low-GI carbohydrate such as seed bread or ProVitas. This should keep your blood sugar and insulin values steadier or longer and prevent some of those cravings. You can also try chewing sugar-less gum and snacking on low-energy foods such as baby tomatoes, celery, carrots sticks. Please read the article on 'Stopping smoking' by clicking on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and doing a Search for 'Stopping smoking' to read all the tips for overcoming this temporary problem.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-02-09

Dear Helen