Question
Posted by: runner | 2010/06/30

sudden pain in both knees

I''m a 29 year old male, I''ve always enjoyed running, several years back when I ran too often my knees would get sore, and recover as soon as I reduce mileage.
This year I''ve been running about 3 times a week, and about 4 weeks ago my knees started hurting. I would run about a 100-200m and they''d get sore, as soon as I start walking it gets better, this happened twice, I couldn''t complete my run, so I didn''t go running at all for 3 weeks, this week I tried again, the run was OK, but coming back my knees were so sore I could only walk. The following day I even had trouble walking, both knees were really sore and I struggled to put one leg in front of the other, I could also feel the joints moving inside my knee when sitting down and flexing the knee. It aLMOST FEELS as if something is loose within the knee. I don''t have a medical aid so any advice would be appreciated. Why would this happen so suddenly and so severely? What can I do to be able to run without pain again?

Hallo Runner
This may be due to a few factors - the shoes you wear when you run may cause stress on your knees, or the surface you run on may be listing to one side (especially if you run on a tar road) causing stress, or you may have weak thigh muscles that don't support the knees enough. See http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/194.shtml
One has to try and find the cause (if possible see a biokineticist) and treat accordingly.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/06/30

Hallo Runner