Question
Posted by: runner | 2010-06-30

sudden pain in both knees

I''m a 29 year old male, I''ve always enjoyed running, several years back when I ran too often my knees would get sore, and recover as soon as I reduce mileage.
This year I''ve been running about 3 times a week, and about 4 weeks ago my knees started hurting. I would run about a 100-200m and they''d get sore, as soon as I start walking it gets better, this happened twice, I couldn''t complete my run, so I didn''t go running at all for 3 weeks, this week I tried again, the run was OK, but coming back my knees were so sore I could only walk. The following day I even had trouble walking, both knees were really sore and I struggled to put one leg in front of the other, I could also feel the joints moving inside my knee when sitting down and flexing the knee. It aLMOST FEELS as if something is loose within the knee. I don''t have a medical aid so any advice would be appreciated. Why would this happen so suddenly and so severely? What can I do to be able to run without pain again?

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Runner
As you know, running is high impact exercise and can cause knee injury in many people. Unfortunately you'll have to consult an orthopaedic surgeon who specialise in knees, to have a look. You can have that done at a Provincial hospital, but the waiting time is extremely long.