Question
Posted by: Lizz | 2010/06/18

Sudden increase in weight...

Hi Doc,

You will probably still hear from me a lot. ((blush))

I have been really good on my diet and exercising but I suddenly started picking weight up again this week. In a matter of days it went 1kg up!

This is my menstruation week but the increase in weight was before I started. Could the weight increase be because of this and this much? When can I expect my weight to be accurate again? Sorry I am getting a bit obsessed here.

Other thing is, hubby is not nearly as motivated as me he cheats and he drinks alcohol rather often and he does not exercise but he has lost more than me, almost a kg and his brother doing great on his diet and also not exercising as lost 3 times more than me. Is the males really this much more privileged? It sucks a bit hey?

Ok, sorry I am going on and on and on...got my bounce back! This low GI diet is doing wonders for me.

Dear Lizz
I am so glad that the low-GI diet is having such a good effect on your health and weightloss. I will be pleased to hear from you because I so seldom receive feedback from my Readers and I often wonder how they are doing. However, I am going to take a 10 day break, but will be back by the 28th, so do please let me know how things are going. Now to answer your questions: Body weight can vary by up to 3 kg on a daily basis particularly in women as a result of hormone fluctuations, esp before, during and just after menstruation. This is usually due to water retention and will return to normal after the hormones have stabilised again. Secondly men do have a great advantage when it comes to weightloss because of their higher testosterone levels. Testosterone is a so-called “anabolic steroid” that promotes weightloss. Then their basic metabolic rate is also higher than in women, so they naturally burn more kJ than we do! Not fair, but a fact of life alas. Just maintain your programme and don't compare your weightloss with the men in your family, otherwise you will get frustrated!

2
Posted by: lizz | 2010/06/19

Thanks Doc, enjoy the time off!

Reply to lizz

Dear Lizz