Question
Posted by: Mariska | 2012-02-03

Sudden change

I''ve been gyming regularly and mangaged to shake off a few kgs and achieved my goal weight. I continued exercising the same amount of time and effort, and all of a sudden after 4months I''ve gained a few k''s in a period of a week. My eating habits have remained the same as well.

What could be the cause of this?

Hi Mariska

Well, this is an interesting one. It could be fluid, it does happen sometimes, particularly for women. Have you reassessed it again since? Weight fluctuates quite a lot - I myself have seen that my weight changes by about 2kg even day to day, unless I'm very careful about controlling exactly what I eat in the five or six hours before I weigh myself and how I've trained. So it may be that you just got a "dodgy" reading because some of these factors were different?

Then at the risk of being really silly, it's also possible that your scale has changed, or that it's lost its accuracy. You'd be surprised how often this happens, especially in gyms where the scales are used hundreds of times each day.

So I have a feeling this is a blip, nothing to be concerned about, but obviously you'll have to keep an eye on it and see how it is progressing.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2012-02-17

Hi Mariska

Reply to fitnessdoc