Question
Posted by: Eve | 2008/08/16

Success rate of iVF with severe endo

I have svere endo which as removed 16 months ago (stage 4). Since then I have had 3 IUIs, each time I responded well to medication (Fertomid 50mg and Gonal F with ovidrel for first two, and Fertomid 100mg with Fostimon and ovidrel for 3rd one), but unfortunately I did not fall pregnant. My husband also has low motility (2+), but the rest of the parameters were normal. Last IUI was in April 2008.

I am currently on Yasmin, and plan to do IVF within the next 6 months. I am 30 and my husband is 34.

What are my chances of succes with IVF ? My tubes are ok and I do ovulate, but I had severe endo everywhere including my bladder and rectovaginal and colon. Also, I have started having cramps and pelvic pain and a sore Left ovary. The pain varies throughout the day, but seems to be worse at night. This happens from 7days prior to my period and can continue for up to a week after my period. The first 3 days of my period are spent living on painkillers. What are the chances of the endo being back ? Should i have another lap before doing IVF ?

Dear Eve

The problem with endometriosis of an advance stage is not only distortion of the anatomy but also the production of certain active chemicals, which directly alter egg quality and fertilization as well as implantation. The fact that the tubes are patent does not necessarily guarantee fertilization is occurring or that implantation will take place. As the IVF option is certainly the best option and should be undertaken as soon as possible. Even though IVF may not work on the first attempt it is worthwhile pursuing that option to achieve conception.

Answered by: Dr. M.I. Cassim