Posted by: biri | 2009-07-10

is there a cheese that is not made with cow' s milk? what is it called? What is polenta? is it a maize and does it contain wheat and gluten? Are the grains sold in SA like maize and polenta safe? ito are they from SA or are they imported? a few yrs back there was something re america dumping maize with hormones into Africa? do we have to worry re this at al?

Dear Biri
I believe that there is a so-called soy cheese which may be available at health stores or Chinese/Korean stores. Polenta is ground up yellow maize. It does not contain any wheat, and no gluten. Gluten is one of the proteins that occurs mainly in wheat, but is also found in rye, oats, barley, spelt, kamut, titricale. I think that some of the polenta sold in SA is produced here, but some brands are imported from Italy. In SA, we generally feed out yellow maize to cattle, which is so silly considering that yellow maize is much healthier to eat - something the people in Mediterranean countries have known for centuries! I don't think the Italian maize contains any hormones.