Question
Posted by: D | 2010/01/08

Subsitute

My Husband is on Antabuse, I want to cook oxtail this weekend but all recipes call for red wine. what can i substitue the red wine with?

Gosh, that's a cooking question, isn't it, and if you'd ever tasted my cooking ....
I'm surprised you say ALL recipes call for red wine, as there are surely so many alternatives as regards herbs and spices. Have you done a web search fo alternative oxtail recipes ? I'm sure it can be extremely tasy without wine.
Anyway, if one adds wine early on in a long-cooking dish, its generally some of the flavourants that remain, with the alcohol evaporating, unless you slosh in a huge quantity at the last minute

3
Posted by: Liza | 2010/01/08

As CS has said - adding alcohol to a dish that takes a while to cook will evaporate the alcohol (cooking for at least 20 minutes after putting the wine in. With fried dishes the alcohol evaporates after 5 minutes already, but that is usually done on a much higher heat than simmering). Enjoy the oxtail (you don' t want to invite me do you?  -)

Reply to Liza
Posted by: wOMAN | 2010/01/08

Use red grape juice, pimento all spice and cloves as a substitute.

Reply to wOMAN