Question

Subject: Letter to my bipolar sister-in-law

Hi Maria - Your letter below refers. I am sorry if I am too harsh, but what if this person really has a mental retardation problem ?? I am sorry if I put that the wrong way, but it just doesnt sound right. Your 2nd paragraph gave it away. Could I be so wrong and off track to believe that there is way more to this than bipolar ??

Posted by: Maria | 2/7/2012
I''''ve written here before about my 40 year old sister-in-law who has bipolar and is still completely dependent on her parents for everything. She is childish and has really dismal social skills - she talks incessantly about nonsense and stands much too close to you etc. She had a job as a nursery school assistant for a couple of years but resigned several years ago. I think she was probably manic at the time as she was quite paranoid. She tried to find another job but failed.

,,,,,

2

,,,,,

Posted by: Maria | 2012/10/12

Hi Anon. I''m wondering why you pull up a post from months ago, is it on a subject that you have personal experience of or feel strongly about for some reason?

To answer your question, no it isn''t just bipolar, there is also OCD and other more minor medical issues. My sil coped perfectly well in school until her first episode at 15/16 so there was definitely no mental retardation in childhood. While I do experience that many of the meds blunt your mental faculties, in her case the problem really appears to be mostly emotional. I don''t expect her to suddenly become " normal"  after all these years, I just want her to develop herself as much as she is capable of. I haven''t spent any significant amount of time with my in-laws since I wrote that letter but my sil does appear to be trying ito becoming more independent.

Reply to Maria