Question
Posted by: GD mom | 2012/02/01

subdued great dane

Hi Scotty, my little girl and I have not had a good start to the year. She is a 4 year old, spayed great dane. In the beginning of January she managed to rip a toe nail off. It took almost a month to heal, with regular visits to the vet for checkups and monitoring. While it was healing I locked her in the house (and would rush home lunch time to let her go do her thing outside.) once the toe was healed I left her outside again. When I got home from work she was in a bad way, head shaking, eyes darting, unstable, she actually fell over - a compelte freak out. I rushed her to the vet and he diagnosed either a mild stroke (her head tilted to the side) or anaphilactic shock. she is on treatment and seems fine. My concern is that she is very subdued (not at all her nature). We are due for another vet visit next week but would like to hear what you think could cause an over-the-top in-your-face dog to become a quiet little mouse.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi there, GD Mum, nice to hear from you again, and your not joking when you say a bad start to the year - the poor things!
Honestly, I am not sure why she should be so subdued and I really think you should talk to the vet about it as it may even be a side effect from the meds she is on and would be a good idea to mention to him and see what he thinks, and also to check if she can have same exercise etc as before.

There could also be an element of stress in which case some TTouch would help. I would try and get her back to life as it was before - dont 'pander' to her (will make her more insecure, but rather get her doing activities which she really enjoyed before the incident, such as playing with ball, walks etc.With walks, look for locations you dont normally visit, which may stimulate her. I do find that if a dog is a bit 'depressed', to engage in the activities it really enjoys helps, and perhaps a visit to a dog park/location may assist.
Good luck and do let me know what vet says. Thks Scotty

3
Posted by: Scotty | 2012/02/07

Hi, that is absolutely wonderful - I am so thrilled for you and it is a pleasure! I don''t think there is much worse than having a dog that is off colour and you don''t know what is wrong - heck wish they really could speak! Whoever your prac is there is a good chance I may know her - so say hello! What is also very helpful with shock, strokes etc, is to bring in the Lying Leopard touch as well - that combined with ear work really makes a difference. Good luck with her future care and if you enjoy dogs and dog related stuff, do have a look at my free website. Take care, Scotty

Reply to Scotty
Posted by: GD Mom | 2012/02/03

Hi Scotty = thank you for your reply. I chatted to our vet and he said the antibiotics she is on are very strong so could be the cause of her feeling nauseus and subdued. Our walk yesterday was interesting - we followed your advice and took a totally different route - she perked up quite a bit. Regarding TTouch, I am VERY blessed and have a friend who is a tt practitioner - she has shown me some of the touches and they made a HUGE difference on the day of her " stroke"  I did ear and mouth work while we were waiting for the vet and even the receptionist commented on how my little girl was calming down. My friend is coming over on Saturday and will treat her to a pamper session. Thanks again for all your help and advice.

Reply to GD Mom
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2012/02/02

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert