Question
Posted by: Alet | 2011/05/31

Stye in dog''s eye?

I have a 3 year old - lively, eating ok(never been a over excited about food) playfull knee rescue dog. She''s been living with me since a puppy. 3 days ago I noticed x2 stye like pimples on the left upper and lower eye lid - and last night one that opened up on the right upper eye lid. I have started to apply chloromycetin ointment/Sulphacetamide sodium since yesterday..I know, human ointment but I think much the same as for animals. No more new pimples but others still there - not bigger or smaller..I think the eye is itchy too as she would wipe it with her paw at times but not too often either.. What should I do? Do have purbac for animals from previous consults - will it help?
Or should I take in for a check up?
She is a outside dog, sleeps inside at night..What could cause this? Allergy? Lacking vitamins? Feeding advise?

Many thanks
Alet

Hi. I would suggest that you take your doggy for a check up to determine the cause of the abnormal “pimples” as describe by you. The vet should determine if its relevant to a infectious and/or inflammatory cause and prescribe the correct medication. I wouldn’t suggest that you use any antibiotics without consulting your vet.

3
Posted by: Alet | 2011/06/01

Thanks for feedback!

Reply to Alet
Posted by: Chill | 2011/05/31

I don''t think the chloromycetin ointment will do any harm - it is used in dogs. See what happens, but be prepared to take the dog to the vet if things get worse, OR if she keeps rubbing the eye - if it''s itchy or sore, she may damage or infect the eye itself, rather than the eyelids. Wiping the eye with a clean cotton-wool pad dampened with some boiled water to which you have added a little salt (just a bit!) may be soothing - use a separate pad for each eye to prevent cross-infection.

No idea what might have caused this... I guess Stuff sometimes just happens.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Cybervet | 2011/05/31

Reply to Cybervet