Posted by: lyn | 2009-10-31

my son aged 13 has been battling with red, irritating eyes. I got him drops from the chemist and it eased up. A few days later he had a stye in his right eye. after it went away his eyes were clear for a few days and then red again, now he has a stye in his left eye.

what causes this, what can i get from the chemist to treat it, does he need to see a dr - we do not have medical aid

It is most probably due to an allergic reaction causing irriation of the eye and subsequent infection. The stye can be treated with anti-biotic eye drops and if it does not resolve, it should be drained by a doctor. For the allergy, he can use Deselex tablets, as well as Spersallerg eye drops. This is available at pharmacies without prescriptions.