Question

Stupid !!!!

CS I have done something incredibly stupid ..... I was a very heavy drinker for about 15 years , and i stopped complelty for nearly 11 years.

Anyhow about 6 months ago I felt like trying to be a " social"  drinker ...I so desperately wanted to be able to have a beer and just enjoy it.

I do enjoy it , it doesnt seem to have become an issue , I clearly know when I have had enough , but why is it bothering me so much ?

Its still really controversial, the issue of whether it is possible for an alcoholic to resume "social drinking" without sinificant mishap ; and as to whether it is wise to even try. Perhaps also it's a misfortune related to how much socially for many people socializing and being friendly centers around a bar or at least drinks, that it is easy for one to feel uncomfortable if one sticks to non-alcoholic drinks ( and usually the selection of what's available is lousy !) And when one has carefully and wisely built a new habit of NOT drinking, its not surpising that one feels uneasy and perhaps also guilty when on drinks again.
Sounds like you're managing the drinking reasonably so far

2
Posted by: Anon2 | 2010/12/22

Its guilt caused by being an alcholic.
I can relate to what you are going through - I am a recovering alchi and feel guilty just by sitting in a bar around people that drink.

Reply to Anon2