Posted by: ICE | 2012-09-17

stuffy nose

Dear Cyberdoc,

Since after having a cold in June this year, I''ve been struggling with a stuffy nose.

Before this cold I used to take Fexo 120 for a few days whenever I had any stubborn/troublesome stuffy nose / sinisitis symptoms, and it worked. But since the cold, Fexo does not work at all any more.

Early in July I went to the doctor, who first prescribed Avamys nasal spray - for at least two weeks. At used it for 4 weeks and no improvement.

I tried saline nasal spray (sterimar) for a couple of weeks - relief for a few minutes after treatment, then back to breathing through my mouth.

Then I got two decongestants (oral - sinuclear) and nasal (sinex) from the pharmacy. The sinuclear works okay, not great - and besides, I don''t need the paracetamol that is also included in the Sinuclear, as I don''t have any pain. The Sinex spray works great - 12 hr relief, as promised on the bottle, but I''m afraid to use a nasal decongestant spray more than once a day for more than about 3 days at a time - as I have heard too many stories of permanently damaging the sinuses with these sprays. But it is all that works!

Went back to the Dr last week, and this time he prescribed Rhinelon spray and " Desaway"  tablets for three months. The problem is, an hour or two after using the above, my nose is congested worst than ever! Where before there would be about 10 to 30% air movement (a guess obviously), after using the above, there is NONE! And I cannot sleep if I can''t breath at least a little bit through my nose...

Steam, which is supposed to open the nose, worsens the congestion! And it is not the type of congestion where one can blow out the problem, it feels more as if my sinuses are swollen shut.

So if antihistamines, cortisone sprays, and steam don''t work or make the problem worse, should I continue using the Sinex decongestant spray? How long can I safely use the spray without permanently damaging my sinuses? Anything else I can do?

Please help.

It is imperative that you consult an ENT specialist. I think that you are suffering from a chronic sinus infection, as well as sinusitis, secondary to the use of nasal sprays. It is more than likely that you will need a sinus operation to effectively treat the congestion of your nasal passages.