Posted by: Martie | 2012-09-25

Studying for what?

Dear Doc, I am a 38 year old woman who works at an admin job due to financial reasons (I am the breadwinner of my family and also care for my mother financially.)However, I have always been interested in the sciences and recently I completed my BSc degree (on a part time basis while working full time). Now I decided to carry on doing an honours degree, which entails me taking extra modules in for a few years (as my BSc was not in the subject I want to do my honours degree in) and thereafter doing the honours degree also on a part time basis while still working at my usual job. I work long hours at the office, travel a few hours every day and still have to look after my health and cook at home, where I also run a small business for an extra income. My remaining time I tend to spend on my studies. I also go through the normal stresses around exam and assignment times adding to the general stress of my busy life. Now the problem is that I am to old to enter the world of the sciences and work my way up. With all my financial responsibilities I just cannot take an entry level job paying R5000 per month and survive. Also few employers would take a woman in her 40''s wanting to be a scientist! This means that I am basically studying as a hobby, enriching my mind but adding little else to my life in general, except more stress and very little " free"  time. My friends have been asking me why do I keep on studying as it can lead nowhere and just steals a lot of my time I could be exercising or resting or working on my business or spending time with my family. In the end, taking into account the thousands of rands I spend on University fees and countless hours I put into studies which I will never use in my life, is it worth it to continue (with this hobby...)?

We have one life to live and I feel that I would personally stop the studying and spend precious time with my family and make time to enrich my life with what really interests me, benefit my health by exercising and getting enough rest, as it seems that your plate is really full.

Posted by: Martie | 2012-09-25

Sorry Doc, I should have posted this question to Cybershrink.. Please just ignore.

Reply to Martie