Question
Posted by: Elizma Brink | 2008/09/14

Studying for Nutritionist

I am at a stage of my life where I need to make a change and make choices.
I' ve been working as a secretary for about 8 years now. At the moment I am feeling frustrated at my job.
I' ve always thought, maybe I should have studied something, but couldn' t decide what it should be?

The last few months I' ve read up on Nutrition and Health a lot, as it' s always been a big interest for me.
I' ve realised that this is my passion in life and I would like to persue it further.

May I ask you for some information?
If you could give me some advice, where can I start to maybe learn more about being a Nutritionist?
What is the possibilities being a Nutritionist. What is the difference in being a Nutritionist and a Dietician?
Also if you could tell me where one could study for this career? Could you maybe tell me if there is different courses one could take?

Dear Elizma
Nutrition is certainly an interesting field of study. In South Africa there are a number of universities that offer degrees in Dietetics (e.g. UP, Potch, KwaZulu-Natal, etc). You can either visit the Website of the Association for Dietetics in SA (ADSA) at: www.adsa.org.za or phone our Head Office at: Tel: (011) 789-6621 or 789-1383 for more information regarding the various degrees that you can study. Nutritionists are usually either dietitians or people who have studied in another direction such as medicine and then specialised in dietetics later on.
Wishing you the best for your new future