Question
Posted by: Kate | 2012/03/19

Study Trouble

Hi Cs

Just need some advise.
I have registered for 3modules this semester and they are hectic. What makes it worse is that I have only just opened my books. I''m finding it had grasping the work as I went through it this weekend and wondering if it is possible to be ready for my exams early May.

Wel I know only I can answer that and its only through my own fault that I am in the situation that I am in. With just a month ahead and not that many hours in the weeks to focus on studies I''m starting to worry. I even had a dream last night that I sat the exam and never knew a thing. I was sitting there thinking -Why did you not put more effort into this!

Anyways I think I just need some encouraging words.

It is possible ( unless you choose to give up now, which would be sad an unnecessary ), but learn in future to use all the available time, rather than delaying the start to your studies.
Work on prioritizing how you spend your time, and identifying the most important parts of this part oft he course. Maria's experienced comments are worth taking to heart.

5
Posted by: Kate | 2012/03/20

Thanks Dell! I will def.try that method.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Dell | 2012/03/19

Hi Kate

I studied via UNISA and know how daunting it can be. What helped me was to do mind maps. If you search the net you will find alot of info on how to do it.

I used to take an A3/A4 double page and map all the critical issues out of what subject/chapter i am studying and include the info that i need to know. I write mainly the critcal words,phrases,formulas etc and i make it colourful and use triggers to help me remember like mneumonics, codes etc.

The process helps you lean the work and also help during revision since you don''t have to re-read all the work again.

Reply to Dell
Posted by: Kate | 2012/03/19

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your feedback and I will make the best of the time that I have left.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Maria | 2012/03/19

Same here Kate. Just do the best you can with the time you have. You might as well write the exams, and if the worst happens and you fail them you will have a good idea of the kind of questions asked. But don''t give up, I have often started way too late (I''ve been studying part time for 9 years) and always managed to pass. The trick is to do some intelligent guessing and concentrate on the parts of the work that you think is more important. Discussion classes are really useful to attend if you can, I often found that the lecturers virtually tell you what will be in the exam.

Good luck!

Reply to Maria