advertisement
Question
Posted by: nqa!! | 2012/05/16

Study or save up???

Hi,

I am in a bit of a predicament, i am currently doing courses which i am funding myself though it is work related, my company refused to fund me, i have been doing well in my studies, but now that i look at it i feel it is a waste of money because i would like to save up for my own business and i cannot do so because i have to pay study fees monthly...Question is do i continue studying knowing i might retire soon to focus on business, or do i continue studying and not save until i get a better paying job.....Trust me the money i earn is a joke! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

I wonder if there are any relevant laws or regulations about companies contributing towards staff development and training. You don't say what you're studying, or to what end point, but if its relevant to your lie of business, it could still be a good investment. Far too many peo[le decide to start their own business, without really knowing anything about either their field itself, or the nitty gritty of business and how to plan and successfully run one. If your current courses are not going to be useful to those aims, is there a possibility of revising your study programs so as to make them more relevant and sueful to your eventual business plans ?

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

4
Our users say:
Posted by: Nqa!!! | 2012/05/16

Thanks for all your responses....they are indeed a kick to the right direction.

Reply to Nqa!!!
Posted by: Wishes | 2012/05/16

I wish that I had studied harder. I had the opportunity to go on a scholarship to America, but I turned it down. I regret that. I do have my own business now, but in these times business trading is very difficult. I see others, who studied, not being affected at all by the current economic climate. I totally agree with Liza (damn, she should be an Agony Aunt or something!).

Hope this helps.

Reply to Wishes
Posted by: Liza | 2012/05/16

My dad always told me - people can take everything from you, but they can never take away your education. This is just so true in real life. You can lose your job, your stuff can be repossessed, your relationships can break down, but unless you suffer from some kind of brain damage, you will ALWAYS have your education.

A business can fail so easily. It''s a tough economic climate, with everyone trying to tighten their belts which means that people are spending less and less. Depending on the legal aspects, it''s so easy to make a mistake that would cost you your business, but no-one can sue you for completing your education. Unfortunately our society is becoming increasingly litigious and people try and sue others for the most ridiculous reasons - sometimes even succeeding. This can very rarely be foreseen and planned against...

New businesses only have a 20% chance of still existing 2 years after startup. That means a business has 80% chance of failing within the first 2 years.

An education is an investment in your future and definitely NOT a waste of money (unless you''re studying something completely useless or at a fly-by-night institution that has no accreditation). Starting a business and failing WILL be a waste of money. So do you choose education that is a definite investment or do you choose a business that MIGHT be an investment? For me it would be an easy choice.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza
Posted by: cybershrink | 2012/05/16

I wonder if there are any relevant laws or regulations about companies contributing towards staff development and training. You don't say what you're studying, or to what end point, but if its relevant to your lie of business, it could still be a good investment. Far too many peo[le decide to start their own business, without really knowing anything about either their field itself, or the nitty gritty of business and how to plan and successfully run one. If your current courses are not going to be useful to those aims, is there a possibility of revising your study programs so as to make them more relevant and sueful to your eventual business plans ?

Reply to cybershrink

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
advertisement