Question
Posted by: student | 2010-05-31

studies

Hi CS

This is purely an academic question. Busy doing a psychology major through UNISA. In Personality Theories we covered Freud, Maslow, Rogers, Frankl, the social cognitive theorists and the African perspective. But they seemed to leave out NB ones like Jung and Erikson. Do you think this is up to standard?

Regards student

Interesting to hear who they still teach about. Rogers was a good friend to me, and Frankl also a pleasant friend. I only met Anna Freud, the daughter, and just once heard Maslow speak. Sounds like a pretty good line-up thus far ! Freud is important to get to grips with because he and his followers so drastically change how people though about mental life. Rogers was one of the warmest and most human beings I ever met, and brought that element centrally into his useful methods. Frankl made meaningfulness central, an element that was often overlooked earlier on ( especially by those Freudians to whom everything tended to be assumed to actually mean something else ).

Jung (in my opinion) was a blind alley - interesting, but not useful. Erikson one should know about, and for years was thrust down the throats of all psych students, though I have yet to find his theories actually useful in practice.

It depends on what you mean by "left out" - the sort of figures you mention are worth studying in some detail, but the others, and more, ought to be at least briefly dealt with and understood, is one is aiming at producing literate psychs.

1