Posted by: dw | 2008-11-04

I am a 28 year old male and have just realised that the job I have been doing for the last 10 years (draughtsman) is not what I want to do. I hate having to go to work. Problem is that I do not know what I want to do, and I also feel that I have wasted 10 years of my life.

I wanted to get my career going before i got stuck in a relationship, and now it is too late. I hate my career, have always been single (never had a girlfriend), while my friends are settling down, getting married, or are married and happy. .

I just feel like giving up, but I know I can' t. I can' t go study as I need the full time job to pay the rent, car etc. I also had to start working as I left school because we never had the money to study further.

What do I do in a situation like this?

Gosh --- why did it take 10 years to realize this ? It might be very helpful to see a psychologist who does vocational guidance testing and counselling --- to test to clarify your aptitudes, skills and interests, and to explore options where you'd have a better chance of being happy as well as successful. Maybe the counselling sessions could also help you gain confidence in developing more friendships, male and female, and aim at an eventual happy relationship.