Question
Posted by: Misserable hungry mommy | 2009-07-21

strugling to loose " baby-weight" 

My baby is now just over 6 months and I' m still breastfeeding him. I thought my weight will come down nicely with the breastfeeding but I didn' t expect this immense hunger I have.

I' m not happy with my body as it is now and I' d love to loose a couple of kilos. But I can' t get it right to eat less.

How does one loose the weight while being able to breastfeed (together with this very " healthy"  appetite).

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Dear Miserable Hungry Mommy
Congratulations on the birth of your baby. You don't mention your present weight in kg or height in metres so that I can calculate your BMI to judge how much weight you need to lose?? If you only need to lose a few kgs, then you can try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise. Because you are breastfeeding, which is one of the most important gifts you will ever give your child, you should add another 2 cups of fat-free milk or yoghurt to the recommended food intake in this diet to provide you both with adequate supplies of calcium. As regards exercise, you need to do some aerobic exercise every day for about 30 min. For example take baby for a brisk walk in the pram or in a baby sling on your back! Then you can also consider doing some tightening up exercises like sit-ups and thigh rolls.
Enjoy your baby

2
Posted by: Miserable Hungry Mommy | 2009-07-22

Thanks for the advice. I have printed the diet and will be trying my best with it. I' m 1.62m tall and weighing around 70kg. I would love to be able to shed 5kg (at least!). How much will be my ideal weight be?

Thanks again for the advice.

Reply to Miserable Hungry Mommy
Posted by: L | 2009-07-22

I am in the same situation and I can relate to what you say. I eat a lot, but only healthy food.In that way the kilos just melt away by itself.

I also walk a lot with a baby. I also bought myself a skipping rope So exercise helps a lot.

Reply to L