Question
Posted by: Nutty | 2008/09/11

Struggling to loss weight.

I am 25 years old. I had a very serious knee injury because of an accident and can not exercise because I have not regained full use of my knee. I have gained alot of weight because of this injury. I have bipolar mood disorder and my moods are still very unstable. I would like to loss weight but I can not exercise, I can not use diet pills and healthy eating is just not doing the trick. Do you have any suggestions? I need to quit smoking but I' m scared I going to gain more weight.

Dear Nutty
I am sorry to hear that you have injured your knee and that this is affecting your life and psychological makeup. It is possible that although you are eating a healthy diet, the diet contains more energy than you require and thus does not promote weightloss. Because of the fact that you are on medications which could also cause weight gain, I would like to suggest that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to assess your present diet and its energy content and then make recommendations as to how you can reduce your energy intake to cause weightloss without compromising your nutrient intake. Does the knee injury prevent you from swimming? if not, do try and arrange to swim as much as possible (public pool or possibly at a friend's house?). Swimming is an aerobic exercise that helps to use up energy and also assists with improving mood swings.
When you see the dietitian ask her/him to assist you to also stop smoking as this will improve your general health a great deal.
Holding thumbs for you

1
Posted by: Lala | 2008/09/12

Hey Nutty

We in the same boat my Dear I will tell one thing just take it one step at a time start eating small portion of meals and cut the rice ,rolls and bread on your meals eat more veggies and you will loose some few kilos then when your knee is healed you can start by walking , then running or maybe join a gym ,the only thing that works for me to loose wait is just cut on fat and sugar intake and just going to the gym hey its not easy but we have to do it .

I wish you all the best

Lots of love

Reply to Lala