Question
Posted by: Mike | 2011-11-03

Struggling to loose weight

I struggle to loose weight, I make progress in the week, but after a few glasses of wine on the weekend I put back the kilo I lost. I gym 6 days a week, weights and loads of cardio, but it does not seem to help. Are there any tests I can have done to determine whether I have a defeciency or what kind of diet will work better e.g. wheat free or high protein etc.

Dear Mike
One of the fastest ways of losing weight is to cut out all alcohol (29 kJ per gram, which is the second highest energy value after fat which provides 37 kJ/gram). If this is not an option, then I would suggest that you first try a balanced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), in combination with your exercise. If such a diet and the exercise still does not cause weightloss after 3 weeks, then you need to ask your doctor to test if you suffer from problems such as thyroid deficiency or insulin resistance. If you are insulin resistant, then it is essential to consult a registered dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your insulin resistance, medications that the dr may prescribe and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-11-03

Dear Mike