Question
Posted by: JOE | 2009-08-28

STRUGGLING EXERCISE

Hi Doc,

Why is it when I exercise on the tread-mill I can manage 20min walking/jogging before exhaustion, But, If I walk outdoors and the slightest incline, within minutes I am ready to collapse???
Info: male, 55yrs and had Mitral Valve Replacement in 1999 due to heart failure.

Hi Joe

Not sure. Perceptual difference, maybe? Perhaps the controllable pace on the treadmill allows you to find a 'groove' and then just keep going at a steady pace. Perhaps your actual speed outdoors is different, and the terrain is affecting you. There's certianly no physiological reason for this difference, it's not as though running outdoors is harder than on a treadmill, unless it's very hilly or windy. So all I can suggest is that it's a difference in the pace and the controlled environment offered by the treadmill.