Question
Posted by: Mommy | 2009-05-04

STRUGGLE TO LOOSE WEIGHT

I am 32 female 1.6 meters, weight 57 I feel that my ideal weight is 51 but its such a mission to get there. I do go to gym try to eat healthy but I cannot loose the weight. I just want to know if it will be safe to replace all my meals with protein shakes for a month, except for breakfast I will have a big breakfast everymorning but there after only protein shakes... Will that work

51 is very low. At the moment, your weight is quite good for your height, it's in the normal range,a nd while you might be able to lose a few kilograms, I think it's also important to recognize that you might not be able to. Obviously, the closer you get to the "ideal", the harder it is to lose weight. That's why it's easy for someone weighing 100kg to lose 10kg, but someone who weighs 60kg finds it difficult to lose 3kg.

You most definitely should NOT replace all your meals with protein shakes. That would be incredibly unhealthy for you, and in the long term, might do enormous damage to your body. One result will be that your body goes into a "panic" state and shuts down the metabolic rate and that causes you to gain weight.

So definitely not, this would be a big mistake, and I can't say strongly enough not to do it. I would rather spend the money on seeing a dietician, and having them look at it.

Ross