Posted by: Monote | 2013-01-29

Struggle learning

I hope I came to the right place, or you can point me to the right direction.

My son, 24 years, struggles with learning  He failed grade 11 twice, &  other grades prior to that up to 4 times (none of the classes twice). For the past two years he was at a FET college, he failed the two years dismally, not passing any of the subjects (half of which are high school subjects).

I have come to the conclusion that he has learning difficulties. I somehow feel, he needs assessment to understand this problem better, and I need to understand what should be done from there.

Where possible please refer me to the right place.

There's no one right place, but there are many Educational Psychologists who are able to administer psych tests both to assess a person's true interests in terms of work, and to assess their abilities, and explore how these might match. An educational psychologist could also do tests to explore whether he has some form of educational dificulties, and to indentify, if so, what type of difficulty and what might best be done about it.