Posted by: Bmiami | 2012-07-14

Hello dr, I have had a long time struggle with my weight and do not know what the next step is or where to turn. I guess you need some background info. Age 17: 220 I was tormented my family never taught me about proper portion control so I decided I would loose weight on my own because I hated my body. Im a female and I''m 5" 10"  a tall one  ). Age 20: 120 I was very thing and barely ever ate anything for days. But I enjoyed being so tiny. Age 21: I started exercising and eating more. I was able to maintain 135/140 pretty regularly and was somewhat happy with this. But it was still difficult because I was dedicated to my fitness and eating habits. Only eating once maybe twice a day. I stayed at this weight till I was 26ish. Then I recently got divorced and I developed a problem where I drank a lot of wine at night, did not wan to eat and then ate too much. My weight skyrocketed at 160. I know this is a healthy weight for me but I am completely disgusted by the way it looks and I am getting so stressed and depressed about this. I was desperate so I hired a nutritionist to help me. Also my sister moved in with me and she eats regularly but also bring junk food I can stuff in my face after I have had a couple glasses... :( anyways, so after working with the nutritionist for 3 weeks I have lost a couple pounds but the weight is not coming off fast enough and I am getting more discouraged and starting up with my habit of not eating an eating at night. She is very nice and reassures me I am bueatiful and thin but I am not happy and I can not bare to eat during the day. She wants me to eat breakfast an I feel I will be bloated and fat if I do.... Also she had me change my workout and I am struggling to make all the life changes nesscessary to cope. I have a hard time forcing myself to cook bc I have a very ctive social life and a full time job, so free I workout I feel I don''t have time to wander around grocery stores and cook... Steam veges are so much easier and if I could getu sister to stop bring pasta and desserts tithe house I would not over eat on these things. I apologize for the typos I am writing from my phone... Any advice you have for me would be a great help. I am so discouraged I trust no one when it comes to my body bc I have had to struggle alone most of my life. And I am so disappointed I am not a size 2 currently bc I don''t think it is possible for me to be beautiful of I''m not... My self confidence is a all time low and my stress is an all time high. Your truly b

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello Bmiami,
It sounds like you are wanting to prescribe to your body how it must be and that you should be slimmer than you are at present. Are you not expecting your body to be smaller than it naturally wants to be? It seems that you have a history of disordered eating and that you feel it necessary to be as small as you were as a very young adult. However, I suggest you remain in contact with your nutritionist and work towards following a sensible and moderated way of eating. You body will take care of itself and stabilize at its set point (natural personalized weight). I would watch the alcohol intake. Not only is it a rich source of calories that might discourage you from eating, but it seems to disinhibition you to eat in a way that feels to be out of control to you. I think it is important that your eating habits are a reflection of a fully conscious and sober state. Speak to your nutritionist, as you may do well being referred to a therapist to explore your emotional state and poor self-esteem.